Male Breast Reduction Surgery Boston
Gynecomastia is a condition which occurs in men of all ages, though it usually presents in adolescence, that causes the over-development of breasts in men. Gynecomastia is much more common than most people think and is caused by any number of factors such as genetics or changes in hormones. Often causing emotional distress and low self-confidence in those who suffer from it, the condition poses no physical risk.
Gynecomastia may present in only one or in both breasts and may be a combination of excess fat and glandular tissue, or just one or the other. Gynecomastia can only be corrected through male breast reduction surgery. Good candidates for the procedure are in good health and maintaining a healthy weight, have realistic expectations for the procedure and outcome, non-smokers and are unhappy with the size of your breasts.
- Written onSeptember 8, 2018 Dr. Darrow and his entire staff were a pleasure to work and I am extremely pleased with the results as well as the care which I was given.
During your consultation with your Plastic Surgeon, you will be asked several questions about your lifestyle, your goals and your concerns. It’s important to be as candid as possible in your answers as well as to come prepared with questions of your own so that you can leave feeling as informed as possible and confident in your decision, no matter what it may be. All surgical procedures pose risks and it’s important to know them and discuss them with your Plastic Surgeon.
Let’s take a look at the procedure itself:
- First, you will be put under anesthesia, which will make you feel very relaxed and sleepy.
- When a patient presents with a case of Gynecomastia that is primarily resulting from excess fatty tissue in the breasts, liposuction alone may be able to create the desired effect. If, however, the Gynecomastia is presenting from excess breast tissue, the excess tissue and skin (as needed) is removed. Occasionally, the areola may be resized or repositioned to best fit the desired aesthetic.
- In some cases, excision of the tissue and skin is combined with liposuction for optimal results.
- Your Plastic Surgeon will do their best to minimize scarring by hiding incision lines in the natural contour of the body, but some may still be visible.
You will notice initial results immediately, but more true results will be revealed in the weeks and months that follow as you continue to heal and the swelling goes down. Your Plastic Surgeon will give you guidelines and activity restrictions, which you will need to follow as you heal to ensure a safe and speedy recovery. If you should feel any shortness of breath or chest pains, seek medical attention immediately. For many men with Gynecomastia, suffering quietly, hiding themselves under baggy shirts, a male breast reduction surgery can be a hugely powerful experience in increasing self-confidence and esteem.